Social media has the power to make or break your brand.
If you use it the right way, you can build legions of followers and convert them into loyal, paying customers. But how do you do that?
In this post, we’ll give you some advice from people who’ve done just that.
Read on for some social media marketing quotes from successful entrepreneurs, influencers, authors and speakers.
Inspiring Social Media Marketing Quotes from Industry Experts
These quotes sum up the impact that social media can have, and how you can harness it.
1. “Social media replaces nothing, but complements everything.” – Neal Schaffer
Social media isn’t a substitute for other types of marketing. Instead, it works with them to broaden your reach and enhance your brand image.
2. “Social media is about sociology and psychology more than technology.” – Brian Solis
No matter how much of a tech nerd you are, your social media campaigns won’t work unless you build personal relationships with your followers.
3. “Don’t build links. Build relationships.” — Rand Fishkin
It’s not simply about hitting numbers or creating traffic. Relationships are at the heart of social media marketing.
4. “What you do after you create your content is what truly counts.” — Gary Vaynerchuk
Don’t just pump out content. You also need to spend time following up, engaging with people in the comments section, and adjusting to feedback.
5. “What happens in Vegas stays in Vegas; what happens on Twitter stays on Google forever!” – Jure Klepic
You can delete a tweet, but you can’t delete its impact. Think carefully about every single thing you post, because it speaks to your followers about your brand values.
6. “When creating a social media campaign, make sure you know your audience well.” – Liz Azyan
Before you can even think about what to post, you need to do some market research. Find out what your followers want to see and how to connect with them.
7. “We don’t have a choice on whether we do social media, the question is how well we do it.” – Erik Qualman
Social media marketing is no longer an option for businesses. Now, it’s a must.
Author Erik Qualman knows this. He penned Socialnomics: How Social Media Transforms the Way We Live and Do Business.
8. “Create something people want to share.” — John Jantsch
This short and sweet quote from Author John Jantsch sums up social media marketing in a nutshell. Create share-worthy content, and your reach can be endless.
9. “Google only loves you when everyone else loves you first.” – Wendy Piersall
Build up a following on social media, and your Google ranking will start to climb. It’s as simple as that.
10. “Do not write BS if you don’t know what to write! It’s as simple as that.” – Lilach Bullock
Content strategist Lilack Bullock advises against writing filler posts just for the sake of it. All of your posts should be meaningful in order to build your brand and make a positive impact.
You don’t have to come up with all your posts yourself. Companies like Oodls can source them for you.
11. “Social media will help you build up the loyalty of your current customers to the point that they will willingly, and for free, tell others about you.” – Bonnie Sainsbury
Sainsbury’s advice on social media and brand loyalty is spot-on. When your customers like and share your content, they’re doing free marketing for you.
12. “People relate to other people, not sales pitches and marketing jargon.” – Janet Fouts
Social media coach Janet Fouts explains the importance of being real with your followers. Don’t just bombard them with technical terms. Instead, get personal.
13. “Trustworthy content has a balanced point of view. It asks and answers the right questions. It doesn’t love itself. It tries to inform and educate.” – Steve Farnsworth
Steve Farnsworth knows exactly what good content should look like. That’s why he was named as one of Forbes’ Top 50 Influencers in 2013.
14. “Random social media tactics lead to random results. You need a strategy.” – Stephanie Sammons
Sammons wrote Linked to Influence: 7 Powerful Rules for Becoming a Top Influencer in Your Market and Attracting Your Ideal Clients on LinkedIn.
Here, she explains the importance of strategy in social media marketing.
15. “Don’t say anything online that you wouldn’t want to be plastered on a billboard with your face (or logo) on it.” – Erin Bury
Anything you say online can be used against you. That’s why it’s vital that you post carefully.
Lots of celebrities struggling with old controversial tweets coming back to haunt them, and the last thing you need is a social media storm of your own.
16. “Social media is changing the way we communicate and the way we are perceived, both positively and negatively. Every time you post a photo or update your status, you are contributing to your own digital footprints and personal brand.” – Amy Jo Martin
Amy Jo Martin is the founder of Digital Royalty, a company that helps people build and monetize their brands online.
Here, she sums up how every time we post, we’re curating our own personal brands.
17. “The best Facebook ads look and feel as relevant and timely in your News Feed as the posts you see from your friends.” – by Mari Smith
Social media marketing specialist Mari Smith advises companies to make their Facebook ads targeted to individual users. This way, they hardly feel like advertisements at all.
18. “Social media allows big companies to act small again.” – Jay Baer
Through social media, companies can interact directly with their customers in a way that was previously only limited to small businesses.
This makes it a valuable tool for building loyalty. It can be perfect for crisis control, too.
19. “Social media is here. It’s not going away; not a passing fad. Be where your customers are: in social media.”
– Lori Ruff
Influencer and social media engagement strategist Lori Ruff knows that social media isn’t just a trend. It’s changed the entire landscape of how we interact online.
That’s why businesses need to get on board. If they don’t, it will simply move on without them.
20. “You need to develop a tribe of loyal followers and super fans who want to hear what you have to say.” – Michael Hyatt
Author, blogger and podcaster Michael Hyatt talks about the importance of building your “tribe” online.
You do this by following a strategy that involves posting consistent, high-quality, targeted content.
Stay Woke on Social Media
Many of these social media marketing quotes emphasize the importance of posting mindfully.
With each post, you’re establishing your brand’s personality and presence. If you make a wrong move, the backlash and public shaming can be devastating.
That’s why it’s important to follow online etiquette. Read our posts on the dos and don’ts of social media.